Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blog Reflection #2

1. In the "morning meeting" readings you were exposed to several teachers who do morning meeting in their classrooms. Please find one of them, list his or her name, and explain what they do or believe about morning meeting.
One teacher who really stood out to me in the reading was Lilian Katz, in Morning Meeting, An Overview. I really enjoyed what she had to say about socialization in the classroom. I truly believe that if teachers help students develop social skills at an early age, they will be more successful in the future, and in later grades. I liked that Lilian talked about how things students learn/experience in kindergarten can be "pushed up" to later grades, rather than be "pushed down."

2. In both part I of Differentiation in Practice and chapter 1 in Fulfilling the Promise, you find a short list of curricular elements that teachers can adjust and a short list of student traits or characteristics teachers can respond to. One of the books lists 4 of these, while the other lists only 3. What do you think changed in Tomlinson's thinking to add a 4th curricular element and a 4th trait to her original list?
I will be honest with you, I haven't yet received my books for this class, which means I was only able to read some of the reading assignment for this blog. I read Differentiation in Practice and read about the curricular elements. I thought I would comment on these since I am unaware what the 4th curricular element is. Content, process, and product are all very important things to have in a classroom. My reasoning for this is because students must know that there is consistency in the classroom and that the curriculum will not change. Also, students need activities to help them understand concepts, and they need to be able to see how the content relates to them in their life.

3. In the introduction to The First Six Weeks of School you read about the importance of establishing a friendly, predictable, and orderly classroom as a "prerequisite for children's academic achievement." Is "friendly" as important as "predictable" and "orderly"? Why or why not? (Please refer to ideas you find in the introduction to The First Six Weeks of School.
This is another book that I haven't received yet so I thought I would tell you why I think "friendly" is just as important as "predictable" and "orderly." I think when teachers are orderly and predictable, students feel safe and comfortable. Students will also trust a teacher when they keep their class in order. When students trust a teacher, a friendship develops and takes place. I think all three of these things go hand in hand.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that your books haven't arrived yet. Since the whole purpose of this blog is for me to assess what you're learning from the reading as well as what you're learning in class, I can't really do that for blog #2 until you are reading. (Some questions will be about other things, though). You did take time to respond reflectively, and you did do it on time, so you've earned 2 points for this blog. If you have a chance to catch up with the reading and let me know what your responses would be then, I am willing to add points. One of the other students asked me to copy the parts of the books for this assignment, because her books hadn't arrived. I did that, and I'm willing to send them to you if you'll send me your regular email address (the files are too big for Blackboard). Even your answer for question #1 isn't quite what I asked for. Lilian Katz is an expert in the field of education and early childhood education, and the authors quote her to back up what they write about the merits of morning meeting. The question asks you to find where a teacher who USES morning meeting talks about what she does. 2 points

    ReplyDelete