Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blog Reflection #7

So, after you have read the unit in the pages listed above, find 3 subheadings in the chapter that are very clear to you now. Compare and contrast Mr. Johnson's ideas, YOUR ideas for your own class, and the 3 subheadings that are especially meaningful in that comparison. (By "subtopics" I mean the 1- to 2-paragraph sections surrounding the Figures in chapter 6.). Is there something in what you are required to teach for which you could "plan the engagement" in similar ways?

3 subheadings:
  1. Help Students Discover How Ideas and Skills are Useful in the World: I really liked the part when they talked about when a guess speaker comes (ex: a Holocaust survivor) to speak to students. When a child can hear somebody elses experience, the words in the textbook will have a completely different meaning.
  2. Use Meaningful Audiences: Something that came to mind when I read this subheading was the classroom I did my field work in last semester. I was in a first grade classroom and they had "big buddies," who were sixth graders. The sixth graders would help them with their reading/writing, and the first graders LOVED it.
  3. Aim High: Even if a student is struggling they still need to know that their teacher thinks they are smart and can do anything. If we, as teachers, don't aim high for our students, our students will never truly succeed.
I really enjoyed Mr. Johnson's ideas about a tiered-approach. At first, tiering was confusing for me (I'm not really sure why), but after learning about my strategy (in class presentation) and reading this, I can't imagine any other way to run a classroom. You can tell, by reading Mr. Johnson's buoyancy lesson that he is very clear in what he wants the students to do/know. And I 100% agree that he uses several of the hallmarks to make his lessons possible. Mr. Johnson is very aware of his students and knows their needs, which I'm learning is a very key thing in a classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the subheading you wrote above. I like what you said about aiming high and I can see you being that teacher that thinks they are ALL smart and can do anything. You bring a very happy, calming presence to the classroom. You have a positive way of accepting everyone and I admire that. Your class will adore you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You shared wonderful insights here, Tahnee. I love what you said about aiming high. And, I quote: "Even if a student is struggling they still need to know that their teacher thinks they are smart and can do anything. If we, as teachers, don't aim high for our students, our students will never truly succeed." Amen! 4 points

    ReplyDelete