Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Blog Reflection #5

For this blog, please find two different places where Carol makes a statement or quotes someone else, and this statement really touches you... really calls to your heart.

In your blog response, for each statement, give the page number where it is found in the book, copy the most important portion of the statement, and briefly tell why it matters to you -- why it has significant meaning for you.

The first part of the reading that jumped out to me was on page 17. It says, "Not only do people tell me I am worthwhile, I can actually see that I am." I love this. It reminds me of the phrase, "actions speak louder than words." This is so true, especially with children. They may not remember everything their teacher says, but they will remember if their teacher was respectful and showed to them that they were important.
The next part of the reading that I really enjoyed is found on page 33. It says, "We're all on a journey." It's a short phrase, but a really powerful one. Each student in the classroom is on a journey, but on their own journey. No two people are the same, or are even going to end up the same. I think it's important for teachers to inform their students that they need to be individuals, and pursue the things that make them happy.

2 comments:

  1. Great reflections, Tawnee. Do you have any ideas for what you might do if teacher and student's get off on the wrong foot, like with some of us in last semester's class? It has happened before, but it doesn't happen all of the time. I'm sincerely looking for ideas, because it's miserable to feel worthless and to know that students feel worthless as well. Maybe there aren't any real solutions... I'm just reflecting as well. 4 points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tahnee I love your insight of not only telling students, but showing them they are worthwhile. I couldn't agree more! I also think it is important to view our students as individuals! Your students are so lucky to have a passionate teacher!

    ReplyDelete